Friday, September 24, 2010

RE : Afterlife review

Before we get the review under way, I finished a request from aeron (bukan) leonhart. Okay sorry, no Dante. This will have to do. Before you say anything, please full view in DA. I don't want to post the whole thing on fb. http://vividobscura.deviantart.com/art/Half-naked-Lady-180325019

Consider I owe you one Dante. I'll do it when I have time, maybe not so soon.

Again.. Full view in DA please. Just a few clicks, I'd click it for you if I could.

Now that's out of the way. The review...

First thing about RE is it can't escape its game heritage. It's one of franchise that even non-gamer would know, like Final Fantasy. I personally think RE4 is awesome, better than most X360 games. It defines action game as whole. Sadly, RE isn't known for its great story or dialogue. To be fair, it sucks in that department, like B movie written by high schooler.

With that pedigree, will the movie rise in cinematic way? No. You probably have seen one of, if not all, previous RE movies. Well they are not that good. And one more thing, I didn't watch it in 3D, it wasn't available and the clerk said it wasn't any good. After my traumatic encounter with Last Airbender, I don't feel like missing much.. Maybe wet Ali Larter :)

This is wet Ali Larter :D

Okay let's just get to the point. The story has so many plot holes. It's just an excuse to slaughter zombies, you really shouldn't take it seriously. The dialogue is decent, not great, but I have heard worse. Aside from the poster trio, the rest of the cast is laughable. A black dude, preferably athlete. An Asian dude, preferably office boy. A liability, you know when you see them. A cute chick to feed the monster. Cliche.. No other word to describe.

The director used all RE classic tricks. The doggy zombie, although the split head is good on movie, the scare-you-crow, the kiss-me zombie, it even kinda ripped-off Pyramid Head from Silent Hill, the sommersaults etc. The fight with Wesker even mimicked the exact same scene from RE5, just swap Sheva, the hot black chick, with Claire. Man, the originality astounded me.

The guys from SH team are considering legal action right now.

To his credit, at least he didn't use steroid Chris. Wentworth Miller form Prison Break plays Chris, Ali Lartee from Heroes played Claire. For a family that has zombie slaying as career, it could be so much more. There are many funny moments or lines that could work for these two. Such wasted opportunity. They are both at least a bit decent, but not exactly their game's counterparts.

So the main burden must be shoulder by Milla Jovovich. She is, despite her tiny breast, quiet intriguing. Maybe the lithe posture or the cold stare, but she is good as action star. It's not about artistic actress capability, but it's more like her niche. Shawn Roberts as Wesker, not sure who is this. He got a bad deal. Wesker has absolutely no room for character improvement and a more wimp douche bag version of the game.

Catch the glasses trick.. from RE5... which is from K' of KOF..

One more nod to the spam overuse of slow-mo. This movie has the slow-mo of two or three movies combined. I was very open minded her. Ilike RE and zombie movies, but I still can't give this movie some decent rate. 5/10.. Oh all right.. 5.5/10..

If you manage to read this far, I'm open for request. Basically anything you want, I'll try it. It's FREE! ah the favorite word of humanity.. Just hit comment or something, I'll work it out. It's a wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment