Friday, September 24, 2010

Centurion Review.

was gonna go for RE : Afterlife, but it haven't come out, so Centurion would do.. My uncle said it was okay, beside it was either this or King of Fighters or something. If Hollywood has one consistent trend, it's that game-to-movie always suck. Well RE and PoP are decent, but they are just barely.. and my drawing http://vividobscura.deviantart.com/art/OC-Vice-kinda-179725539

My OC.. Vice..
I have had it with this bare minimalist scanner... I'll buy top notch one when I've enough money.
Yes, it looks like Anggun.. Sue me

Centurion isn't another epic medieval movie. It has some war scenes, but it's more of a group of men trying to survive rather than large open battle. The story itself remains simple. A legion of Roman soldiers, Ninth Legion, was dispatched to solve a stalemate with the Picts. They are tribal guerrilla people who use brutal sneak attack and surprise tactic to overwhelm the Roman. Although not as well equipped and have less number than Roman, they managed to beat them badly.

The story follows Quintus Dias, the titular Centurion in an attempt to free the general and get the hell out of the enemy's line. Quintus Dias is played by Michael Fassbender. I knew he was at 300, but I didn't know he was at Basterds as well. He served his role well. The desperate noble hero with newly acquired reponsibility to get his men to safety. The only thing is he's not that memorable. He didn't stand out much. I know it's hard not to expect Leonidas from 300 or Spartacus, but he didn't have that leader charisma.

Have you notice the guy at 300.. I'm not sure at first but he's one of the dead 299..

Dominic West as Virilius, the respected leader of Ninth Legion, have more screen presence. It's a far cry from his back-stabbing queen effing role in 300 and he pulled it off. He's the run wild soldier type, but surprisingly has very good leadership. The rest of the soldier aren't that memorable as well. There is one called Leonidas, not the romantic movie guy, Marcros, whose name sounds like anime, but "SPOILER" you only remember them for their death scenes.

"SPOILER" The antagonist came in form of Etain, played by Olga Kurylenko, the Bond girl from Hitman and Max Payne. I kinda remember her. She's small and thin with short hair. Now she has tough character to play, a mute one. She's a hunter of the Pict with some cruel past. This role is hard, I'm trying to write a story and it has mute character as well. I do it in first person view so it's easier to understand her. That doesn't translate well to screen with mute char. She only has pissed off and "I'm-gonna-cut-your-dick-off" faces the entire movie.

Olga on her Roman killing day

It's better if she showed happiness when she killed her enemies, but no she still seemed pissed off. Dude, my kill wasn't rad enough, kill some more. There's a line that said her only joy came from killing Roman, but I couldn't see it through the emo medieval look. It's a good thing I saw this movie, it's an input on the mute char.

The writing needs a mention here. It was great. The writer and director Neil Marshall has cinematic albeit ancient way of narrative. It's another input for me. Some lines are cliche, but he didn't lose focus and went for 300 vibe like some Chinese movie (Strom Warrior. I'm looking at you). It doesn't has many CG as well, it's a plus. The shot of the scenery is good, some remind me of LOTR.

Olga on her day job

The battle deserves some mention as well. It was bloody, brutal and straight to the point. Some battle even became a stab-fest. It was almost comedical, but I think it's realistic. 300 choreograph is great, it's fluid, but sometime in your face approach can be good too. The gore is staggering and quiet frankly I'm surprised it went through Indo cencorship.

The movie is more of individual struggle rather than grandiose stuff of legend. But what it does, it does well. The irony is this can be pretty much better than RE : Afterlife. Rate 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment