Saturday, July 10, 2010

Kick-Ass review

I just realized that I, mostly, only drew girls. So here's a dude pic, it's Calintz from Magna Carta II. Wha? Looks like a chick? File your complaint to the artist.. Now the thing about this pic is his unnatural slender body and long legs. Apparently Magna Carta artist is a bit "shoujo" style as in the characters has tall and thin bodies with extremely long legs. I didn't notice this at first, I forgot about it and thought he looked tall because of the sideways view and. So I started with some usual frame, half-way through I realized how ridiculously tall he is.

Since it's on paper and I used up all the space, it's impossible to resize without deleting most of the pic, so I just drew him crouch slightly lower.. I also wanted to change the outfit, but since it's so good and the shading is great, I thought I'd learned more if I just followed it. Beside I don't think I'd do remotely as good as this.. Well okay, Hotaru's tengu sandals and sword also Soi Fon's butterfly pattern managed to get in there.. His square pants motive is so annoyingly hard. http://vividobscura.deviantart.com/#/d2suk27

I lowered the hips a bit to fit my frame..


From this image.. This dude is tall


So any one watch Kick-Ass movie yet? If not, you are just like me who saw the poster and "WTF is this?".. Or was I the only one? Anyway, I though it's like a spoof like Disaster Movie by its poster, silly pointless and a bit forcing movie. I was wrong, it's actually great, people. How great? IGN gave it 10/10. Holy sh*t. Why no one told me this before?

It's a comical funny movie, but it doesn't fall to ridiculously obnoxious category like Meet The Spartan. It surprisingly deals in mature and serious context. If you think Dark Knight was too philosophical or gritty, but you like hero movie, this fits the bill. It follows the superhero frame while also maintaining some respect to comic material but still manage to be original. The story is about a normal and plain teenager, he is as average as one can be. He is inspired to be a superhero like in comic books, but there is one tiny problem: no superpower.

This is good, trust me.


So what the most realistic and plausible way to do this? Buy a custome! But no amazing Batman gadget like Bat Light or batarang, what to do? Create MySpace account! But what happen if he actually fight? He got stabbed, of course. There is a brilliantly crafted balance between realism and humor. The dialogue is superb, cleverly written, funny and witty. It exactly how you expect them to talk, with much much profanity. Swearing can be tricky sometimes, it can sound like the chars tries too hard to be edgy by dropping F bomb continuously, but the screen writer make it believable.

The acting is great, Aaron Johnson fits as Kick-Ass, he doesn't looks too arrogant or silly doing superhero wannabe. The antagonist from Sherlock Holmes (err Mark Strong, I think) delivers such convincing comedic but a bit lunatic at times. Nicholas Cage as Big Daddy is actually good here, not the same cliche action hero, but a genuine father figure. He shows some sadness or hurt protagonist, but also a bit crazy and vengeful. There is one scene where he trains her daughter to withstand a bullet.

Little girl drenched in blood shooting people dead.. Awesome..


The best acting is, in my opinion, Chloe Moretz as Hit Girl. She is beautiful in psycho kinda way. The most outrageous but somehow believable char, she has many gory action scenes and it's very interesting because a mix of violence and innocence from one so young. Her little size and background make her easy to root for especially in some more emotional scenes. I don't know if she did her stunt, perhaps not entirely, but if she did, this girl will go a long way.

The stunts are not the best I've seen but they are not bad, they are fluid and not with CG. Some are on par with Blade II. There are many tributes to comics, movies and even games throughout the movie. The costumes may be silly and some scenes are hard to believe, but the presentation is brimming with passion, it's easy to relate to the characters. I don't think it's perfect 10, but this is by far better than most superhero movies. This is a very unique movie and made with great commitment, definitely check this out. 9/10.

This is Nicholas Cage.. Yeah..

No comments:

Post a Comment